Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Has anyone had to deal with massive amounts of glass broken in highrises after storms or collapse? Our downtown area is still partially closed off and the contractors have started the removal process. This highly technical processes uses a man in a harness inside the building knocking all the glass out into the street. This is crazy to me. I think they should be required to work from the outside and knock the glass in the building but they are being allowed to knock it out. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Views:133

Replies to This Discussion

when this happens in NY once in a blue moon, they are required to scaffold off the side walk and then work from hanging scaffolds and put the material inside. I do not know why your building dept has let them do this, unless they feel this is the fastest way to get the glass out...

good luck

John
Here is some pics of some of the highrise glass damage and other structural issues
http://community.fireengineering.com/photo/photo/slideshow?feed_url...
A bit of a delayed response....but...

I have dealt with this on several occaisions in several different dense urban locations. As John said, sidewalk protection is a must, but regardless we always bring materials INTO the building. As we all know, glass falling from a highrise can 'fly' for several blocks. Blowing it out into the street seems ludicrous. Not the kind of liability I want on my watch...

The removal can be done by harnessed individuals from the inside, or via swing stage scaffold, house rig or rope access from the exterior. Regardless, all debris is brought into the building.

Its often helpful to duct tape the perimeter and body of the window so that you can keep shards intact. Also, although we love to smash things, by simply removing the glazing gasket from one side or the other, you can easily get large sections of the window out. If its a structural silicone glazing system (new curtainwall types) try cutting the silicone betweeen panes with a utility knife first.
Just my two cents....
SGN

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login aboveDOES NOTprovide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives.Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the188金宝搏是正规吗消防工程技术委员会, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go towww.sacthai.com/issues.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment toread our policy page. --Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mailpeter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2022 Created byfireeng. Powered by

Badges|Report an Issue|Terms of Service

Baidu