Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hey guys. I have a question. Had a vehicle accident today. The car was rear ended. No damage to the front end. The drivers door was pinned shut. Air bags were not deployed.Drivers window up and in tack. Long story short. Trying to pop the hood to access the battery, to cut power from the air bags. While we were extricating. Could not access the hood release or the cable. Had to go straight for the latch. My question is. What is the best way to do this and what tools to use. Jaws were being used elswhere and had a prob with them. Couldn,t use a sawsall, gas everywhere. We eventually got it with two halligans, a spud bar and brute strength.

Views:3525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron in my deptment we DO NOT have any kind of power type equipment, not even a manual portapower, though we could use one, with almost no extra resorces for buying extras we would like to have, we spend most on keeping what we have working etc... we have been lucky to get some small things needed donated to us. I agree a power tool would make it much easyer, most times you can manualy pull the relase cable but this one time it was stuck and we used what we had avaiable to us, the fire was out using the piericing nozzle, just needed to open up and make sure all hot spots where out. thanks for the commit besafe out there...God bless
If the halligan and/or denver tool could not get the job done,I would have went with a K12. I know you had fuel on the deck but if you were using your spreaders at the same time then perhaps a handline was charged and stretched anyways.

Dont know if this was brought up already so I apologize if it was.

取,打开烤炉,最多are plastic and go easily, this exposes the radiator and the hood latch cable connected to it. Using the fork, put the latch cable in it and twist away from the latch, this will open it.

I agree about the Monkey/football comment though, it gets embarrassing watching someone swinging an axe or halligan like you were swatting a fly, and bending this and twisting that...Stop for 2 seconds and think about the mechanics of how the latch works, use that to open it. Sometimes its more of a mind over matter thing and brawn or brute strength will not help you, if you cant find the cable or it wont work (its broken), than you go after the hinges of the hood under the windshield, either with a handheld hacksaw, air chisel, or porta-power. Take the hinges and remove the hood.

Another way is to go up through the wheel well, remove the plastic covering and you expose the engine compartment and hopefully the battery. You have to still be carefull though because air bags usualy have their own power packs and are still able to go off if you hit them. Just be cautious and carefull, move slowly and watch what you come in contact with, only have EMS in the vehicle with proper PPE and limit who enters the car, watch for Hybrid battery assemblies and other "Unknowns" in the trunk. Even if you do disconnect the battery always assume its still live.

Sometimes leaving the battery alone helps too, if you need more room and the seats are electric it helps to just use the buttons to move the seat back, without the battery you create a lot more work to move that seat. Sizeup every call and act accordingly.

Stay Safe.

this can always be challenging the 1 great thing we use is crash recovery software from Moditech. This way we can see where the battery is to get a more global view of the problem. When we can see all the vehicle safety systems and hazards on 1 screen it helps us stay safe we run the software on a tablet netbook it is a fairly low cost item. I cant imagine folding over the hood to find out the battery was in the truck or worst the other side of the hood

If the door was pinned but the window intact.. why not tape up the window, pop it with a punch, remove the window reach in and pull the hood release?

Why do we compicate things?

i would think the hood release is a great spot to go but like he said for some reason they "Could not access the hood release or the cable." i think we all hope we will go with that classic try before you pry thing. i have found taping up the window doesn't work well when the window is wet or dirty whether you are using duct tape, shelf paper, or newer commercial products like packexe smash (smash works well on dry glass and kit does include stuff to make it work better in adverse conditions) do not do well in many situations. With the use of laminated glass in side windows becoming more popular and a standard for 2013 tape and pop is going to start to fade away and the saw use is going to pick up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the188金宝搏是正规吗消防工程技术委员会, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go towww.sacthai.com/issues.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment toread our policy page. --Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mailpeter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2021 Created byfireeng. Powered by

Badges|Report an Issue|Terms of Service

Baidu