Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I conducted a burn this past weekend on a "motel" type structure. Six units, the middle four identical/mirrored, the end two were larger and with different layouts. The motel had been renovated into six "apartments", and we further connected them by adding additional entrances from unit 1 to 2, 3 to 4 and so on. The building had been vacant for three+ years, very "wet" interiorly for being open for so long, which dampened the fire behavior dramatically(another future post). All went well, no injuries and plenty of training, but it gave me the opportunity to allow a few underling instructors the chance to shadow some of my more experienced instructors as well as allow additional ignition team members to rotate in.
一些做得很好,其他的我可以告诉你不会doing LFT for me any time soon. All of the young instructors had been shadowing through the FF 1 curriculum and other smaller hands on and classroom teaching scenarios for over a year, but it was obvious that a few still need work at the basics of instruction before going further with LFT.
The motel type structure lends itself well to training both for the student as well as instructor due to the fact that there are "constants" in design built into the structure. You can have similar fires, have small changes and see the results of your actions in a real time scale. Different tactics can be used for evolutions adding to the students repertoir of mental similarities on the fireground. The same ideas hold true for the young instructors.
This ideal of shadowing instructors leads off Lt. McCormack's comment from a few days ago concerning the fact that not everyone is cut out for LFT...in fact I'd stretch that to say that MOST instructors are not cut out to conduct LFT. What I will add, and strongly at that, is the faith that Ray mentions only comes from opportunities talked about above. Fostering a faith between instructors, between firefighters in general, is what it takes to have a well working team of instructors to go out and conduct a safe and effective LFT evolution/program. I have been fortunate to work with some of the best, Ray being one of them.
To those of us that do LFT, foster your faith, grow and expand the team when you are able, keep doing what is right, and be sure everything you do is ultimately for the betterment of the fire service and the student. Stay safe Brothers.

Replies to This Discussion

I agree Tony, there is becoming more and more of a gap of knowledge and experience due to the lack of structure fires. This is not helping the training officers of the future while they are on their own dept's. If you want to gain experience and knowledge, the first step is to get aquainted and associated with your local training facility and start helping out with the training tower practicals for entry level classes. This is where you can gain tons of knowledge "hopefully" from the lead instructor to sharpen your fireground skills. This will lead you into bigger and better training opportunities. So many people think that just because they've been on the job for 5 or 6 yrs, they have what it takes to train the new guys. Those guys are the guys who need to swallow some pride and put in some time helping out. The Fire Instructor shoulder patch doesn't make you a LFT Instructor. There is a tremendous responsibility in conducting a "compliant" burn, I am very fortunate to have gained a ton of experience from guys like Tony and Ray in this field. I have done a lot of burns for Tony and they have all gone to the T's with no injuries and everyone walking away with a helmet full of experience and an a** full of lead. This doesn't happen by accident, this is due to ALL the instructors being top notch and very well versed in their area. Guys looking to become a LFT Instructor, sharpen ALL your skills, put your time in at the training tower at your local tech college, and most of all, leave your ego in the truck when you put your gear on, it will allow you to absorb a lot more on the scene when you get there. Oh yeah, and get ready to sweat.............. a lot. I firmly believe in properly conducted NFPA 1403 compliant burns and the value they give to our troops, (notice I didn't say NEW troops). I have done countless LFT's and everytime, something new is learned whether it be in bldg const. or fire behavior or whatever, but something new is always added to the toolbox that will be there for future use. Stay safe brothers and as Ray says "Keep fire in your life".

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login aboveDOES NOTprovide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives.Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by theFire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go towww.sacthai.com/issues.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment toread our policy page. --Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mailpeter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2022 Created byfireeng. Powered by

Badges|Report an Issue|Terms of Service

Baidu